I am moving, how do I request a final utility meter reading?

Property owners that are selling their home must contact City Hall at 651-275-4404 to request a final utility meter reading at least 5 days prior to closing on the sale of the home. Final meter readings are scheduled Monday through Friday and are completed on the day of closing or as soon thereafter as the schedule permits.

Following the final reading, a utility bill will be generated for all usage since the last billing cycle and any delinquent charges. Payment of the final bill is the responsibility of the seller.

Please be advised that until a final meter reading is completed, the seller is responsible for all sewer and water usage at the property. For this reason, it is very important that the seller schedule a final reading on the day of closing, to ensure the seller is not billed for usage by the new property owner.

Helpful Information

When contacting City Hall for a final meter reading, it is helpful for the seller to have the contact information for the new property owner, so a new account can be created for the property. If this information is unknown, the seller should advise the new property owner at the closing to contact the city to create a new utility billing account for the property.

Show All Answers

1. I am moving, how do I request a final utility meter reading?
2. I am renting, how do I update a utility billing account?